The Danger of Electrical Fires
Like residential homes, commercial buildings are at risk of an electrical fires and you should take precaution to prevent these hazards. Electrical equipment, plugs and wiring can all causes a fire. Older buildings can have outdated wiring which poses additional risks. If you are in doubt, call a professional electrician.
Here are a few precautions you can make to minimize your risk of an electrical fire:
- Outlet & power cords – Make sure outlets are updated and in good working condition. Outlet should not be warm to the touch or make cracking sounds and should fit snugly. Have a professional repair them if you experience any issues.
- Cords & Wiring – Do not use a damaged cord. If your cords are frayed, pinched or pierced, throw them out. Damaged, worn, cracked or corroded electrical wires can increase the chance of an electrical fires.
The National Fire Protection Agency suggest calling a qualified electrician if you experience:
- Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
- Discolored or warm wall outlets
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Sparks from an outlet
Call SERVPRO of Northwest Columbus if you do experience an electrical fire in your business at- 614-261-6666.